Tuesday, September 25, 2007

TMI??

I don't think that this will be too much information for ya...but just a warning, I've got a lot to talk about tonight! First, a couple of updates...
1. I mentioned in a previous post about going on a date with a boy...Well, let's just say that there was not a long lasting connection made, unfortunately. He was great, really nice, and we had a nice time, but the chemistry just wasn't there, so we will probably not be going out again. Ah, such is life, and I'm not too torn up about it! Many more fish in the sea!

2. The Bold and Bulky Cardigan and I have made amends, and she is out of timeout. I frogged her back to the new yarn join, and found one of my remaining skeins with a more consistent color that matched the upper portion of the cardigan. Now she looks good. I was a little worried about the size being a little snug on my, and almost frogged the whole thing to re-knit in the next size up. After some careful consideration, and studying the pattern and the width of the button bands, I think I will be ok. I have to knit the sleeves and the contrast color and button band, and she will be done. I think that is a later in the week or weekend goal.

3. This week I have to focus on finishing my first pair of socks! I am just past the gusset decreases on the second sock, and think that it will go pretty quickly. I want to finish so that I can make the September goal for the Sock a Month KAL 4.

4. I am ashamed. The Tiffany Mittens have come to a complete standstill, and probably changed from WIP to UFO in my knitting que. I make a pledge, and a promise, here in KnitterLand online that once the BB Mini Cardigan is done, Tiffany will be back in my life.

OK, so I think that is all for the "old business". On to "new business"...and lots of pics!!
I am making socks for Christmas for my mom and dad. Because I am part of the SAM KAL(see link above) I think this will help to motivate me to finish them on time! I started my Dad's socks this weekend. I am using Knit Picks Swish to knit some old fashioned looking wool hunting socks, you know the kind that are grey, with the red cuff, heel and toe. I am a little worried about running out of yarn (he's a men's size 12 for heaven's sake!) so I have decided to try to do a toe up sock to maximize the amount of yarn I have. This is my 2nd pair of socks, and first toe up. Here is my first short row toe!! Also notice the size difference between a women's size 9 (me) and the toe of a men's size 12!!
With my new found desire to knit socks, I found this tutorial online. I have wanted sock blockers to display my socks on, but have found that one set is pretty costly. Here is the solution! It's so great, and super easy. It took me just about 45 minutes to do these, with the most time being drawing my template.
(L-R)
1. I used flexible cutting boards from Target (about $6 for a set of 4).

2. My template. First, I simply traced around my foot as it was laying on it's side on the paper. Then, following a picture of socks on blockers, tried to emulate the shape of bought blockers. It was kind of a challenge, especially trying to keep the length of the foot correct.

3. Sadly, two blockers would not come out of one cutting board, but at $6 for a set of 4, if you wanted matching colors, it's still super affordable!

4. My finished pair of women's size 9 sock blockers!!

I think this tutorial is great, especially if you give socks as gifts. I think that giving socks on a blocker is much more attractive than not, in my humble opinion!! Thanks so much MaryAnn at Little Sesame Knits!
Here is my almost finished first pair of socks modeling the new blockers!! They look GREAT!
Now that my first socks are almost done, and I am on a sock knitting tear, I am looking forward to my next socks. October is dedicated to knitting Dad's socks for the KAL, and November is for Mom's socks (also size 9, so much easier for me to knit true to size!!), but I want to knit more socks for me too! (Selfish much?!) So here's my quandry...
I am a little torn as to what to knit next. Mind you, all of these will be knit sometime in the (hopefully near) future, but my instant gratification side is deterring my decision making skills!
Option 1: Sidewinders from NonaKnits in Knit Picks Dancing, they look like a lot of fun, and definitely something different!
Option 2: The ever popular Monkey socks in either Hawaii or SMores from Knit Picks Memories
Option 3: The Basic Sock Pattern from the Harlot's Knitting Rules in either Regia's Kaffe Fasset designer series, or Cascade Fixation Pink Lemonade.
I would love to cast on for each and evey pair listed, but unfortunately, cannot. Can you help me?? Thanks!
Whew, well, this was a lengthy post, lots of pics, and definitely borderline TMI. I have worked up an appetite, so I am off to make some homemade chicken salad, eat some dinner, and knit away on my sock! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your comments!
Ravelry Update:
You signed up on September 11, 2007
You are #32304 on the list.
14550 people are ahead of you in line.
3905 people are behind you in line.
48% of the list has been invited so far

2 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

I vote for Monkeys!!. I love monkeys. The next pair of socks that i make for me (whenever that is) will be monkeys - in smores = )

Maryann said...

Hi Jen, I'm so glad the sock blockers work well for you. And my vote goes to Monkey too ;o)