Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not sure what to do...

So I am working on the Bold and Bulky Mini Cardigan from Fitted Knits. I am lengthening the bodice to make it less of a bolero, and more of a full length to slightly cropped cardigan. I am working to the end of the skein/ball of yarn, and then will begin on the sleeves. I haven't bought the yarn for the CC yet, so I will do all of that at the very end, when I am generally happy with the length of everything.

I am really happy with the yarn I chose, and how it is knitting up. Except for what I noticed tonight. All of the yarn has a slightly varigated look as it is hand dyed. I am ok with that until I got to the middle of this last skein. I am noticing a huge area of pooling in the last few inches. It is not super noticable on the pictures I am noticing, but in "real life" it is pretty significant.

The areas I am talking about are both sides of the cardigan, right in the middle (kind of above the needles) on the front...You can also see how varigated the ball of yarn is, too....

And again, at the bottom, middle, right above my fingers....
These are my remaining hanks of yarn...also pretty varigated...
I don't think that I mind, but on the other hand, I really like the blending of the top portion of the cardigan much better than the bottom portion. I am just afraid that the other skeins will do the same in the sleeves. I might frog to just a few rows after I added this skein, add another, and knit with 2 skeins changing every few rows to try and blend it out a little more...

Hrumpf....and I was just about ready to move onto the sleeves....well, I want to love this cardigan, so it will be worth it!

Edit Wednesday Sept 19, 12:25 pm...I didn't want to make a whole brand new post for this, so I thought I would just give an update...after sleeping on it, and looking at the pictures several more times...I think that the best decision for me at this time is to....GULP....FROG back to just after the new skein join, and alternate rows...it is sad to frog, and usually a little nerve wracking, but I know that I will be much happier with it this way. I am going to place a life line of sorts so I do not lose/drop any stitches. I do believe that this is going to have to wait until the weekend...so time out my lovely cardigan...I am not angry, just a little disappointed. We will meet again, and all will be resolved very soon.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Jen, that is too bad. Like you said, it really isn't very noticable on the pics, though. Sometimes you have to go to great lengths to love something...we knitters are a crazy bunch. ;) Looks great, so far!

Qutecowgirl said...

I know it is a pain to frog back but you do want your cardi to be something you love. (and if you did leave it you would see it more because you know that it is there) It is looking very nice. The color shows up on my screen as a beautiful purple. I can't wait to see it finished.

Veronica said...

Wow- someone else has that yarn! Mine is more of an orange/burgundy mix (think blood oranges). How many skeins are you using? I have 4 and I'm looking for a project (I usually don't stash, but it was half off!). I didn't notice the pooling in the photo at first, but I know that if it were my sweater, I'd frog it too. :)

Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

Knitterary said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for dropping by my blog. My SnB meets in Tinley Park. Would that be in your neighborhood?