Friday, October 26, 2007

Melancholy

This is the way I feel today. Today was my last day at work. I have been so full of emotions the last 30 days of my employment. On one hand, I hate the fact that I was let go from my position, that I have had to say good-bye to many really great patients, and that I have had to say good-bye to the people that I work with. Life changes can kind of really suck! On the other hand, however, I am happy, and excited with the direction my life is going. This turn of events has led me to make some pretty big decisions, including starting my own business. This is really scary, really exciting, and I sometimes can't believe that I am actually doing it! I am one week away from my big move back home, and though I have been apprehensive about living with my parents again, I am getting really excited about it as well. My family has had quite a big year, with another big year ahead...its a great time to be closer to them! I got this email from a friend last night that basically summed up a lot of the feelings that I have had the last year. I have lost a long term relationship, lost a loved one, and lost a job. There are so many things I have to be unhappy about. This email, summed up, stated that we can wait to be happy once we meet "the one", once we get married, once we get the "right job", once we have kids, so on and so forth. But why should we wait to be happy? Today is the best time to be happy with our lives, the best time to be thankful for the things we have. There couldn't have been a better email sent at a better time. I have so much to be thankful for in my life, and so much to be happy about. I let myself have a little pity party this afternoon when I got home from work, cried a little, whined a little, and contemplated drowning my melancholy state in a bottle of whine...I mean wine. But I didn't. I decided that this is my time to be happy and excited about where my life is leading. Take the advice of the cheery little forwarded email, pick today to be happy about your life and what it has to offer...its a great time to be happy!!

5 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

I know that you will succeed. You sound to me like you know what you are doing and what you want to do and you have a good head on your shoulders.

Jill said...

How true. I've often found that when I decide to just stop waiting for blah, blah, and blah, and be happy how I am and where I am...that's when I always seem to find the right things in life. Whether they are blah and blah, or not. I hope you find all you're looking for. And I'm really excited for you. Moves can be very liberating--I love to start fresh. Just don't forget about all of us. ;)

Hope you've having fun with Crazy Aunt Purl right now! :D

Laurelena said...

I think you have the right attitude at this point. I've recently been through a similar experience (moving across country, job change, relationship change, death of loved one) all in the same month. They say those are the most stressful things to happen to someone. But as they say, happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.
Best of luck in all your pursuits.
What's your new business, by the way?

Crafty Andy said...

Congratulations on your new adventure, you are now in charge of your destiny. Qaplah!

shewolfy said...

Go for it- today is what we have. Be happy and enjoy the adventure.