Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm a Bad Blogger :(

Sorry that I left the last post such a depressing one on the tragedy that was that week. For an update, things have ben looking good on the homefront. I am getting things taken care of and plans are made. I am definitely taking on this challege with open arms! I have less than one and a half weeks left at work, then one week to pack, then its moving day! My parents are coming to pack me up and move me back to the wide open spaces of rural Iowa!! I have lived in the Chicago area for the past year and a half. I have the tendency to adapt pretty well. So moving from a large city/metropolitan area to a rural town of 5500, where my parents live in the country, on a dirt road no less, will be quite a culture shock! I definitely have to get my road rage under control, and learn to drive the posted speed limit again! On the upside, while I am in the process of getting things together to start my own business, I will have a TON of extra free time to knit!!! Look out Christmas, HERE I COME!!!

So here are some things that I have been working on...
My co-worker's wife had a baby! So I followed the lead of some Virtual SnB'ers and made Saartje's Booties


I love the little teddy bear buttons. They were found at Hanock Fabrics. They chose not to find out what they were having, and thankfully, I had some green Paton's Grace on hand. Knit on US 3's.

I am knitting the Tree Jacket from Zephyr Style for the Sexy Knitters Club KAL. It is really a fun knit, and this picture is now not accurate, as I am half way through the garter stitch portion of the body


I am knitting this out of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Firecracker Heather. I was a little unsure about the color...thinking it might be a little *too* red...but I LOVE it!! I love red, and I have been told that red is a good color on me, so we shall see. I am hoping to finish it before or very soon after I move. My parents have a ton of trees and I would love to photograph it with all the fall foliage! HAHA Like how I plan out my modeling pictures in advance?? I am such a dork!

After I got the *wonderful* news of my future unemployment, I started to fear a yarn shortage for all the projects I wanted to take on, so I made an emergency order to Knit Picks. Maybe not the greatest idea since I will be financially impaired for a period of time. But, I know that I have a TON of sock yarn, so at least I will be set for knitting socks! But here is my haul...



I got the brown (actually their "Mocha Twist") for the Back to School U Vest from Fitted Knits, the gray and black is for a scarf for my sister's boyfriend. This will be knitted in simple 3x3 rib, keep it simple, and manly! :) To the right, that's my Tree Jacket...well, not so much yet, but well on its way! Finally, I got some sock yarn, cause I need so much more of it *insert sarcasm here*. Gloss and Essential Tweed. Not sure what this yarn is going to be when it grows up...but I have some options in my pattern binder.
For those of you with the Options needle set. I am finding it frustrating that I don't always know what size the needles are because they are not engraved with the size or anything. I never used to understand the needle sizer until I got this set. I always thought, "Well, all my needles have the size either on the end, or engraved somewhere on the shaft, so I will always know what size they are." But not so with the Options, especially if you have the tendency not to put things away in their "right" spot. So, I got the needle sizer. I kinda like it! Definitely makes figuring out my sock knitting needles a little easier!


So, off the subject of knitting for a moment...I *LOVE* Starbucks!! Random, I know. But let's remember the first paragraph where I am moving to rural Iowa...no Starbucks there, but I do know they have some pretty good local coffee shops! So, I had to find a solution to my problem quickly. The coffee is one thing, I have a cappuccino machine, so I know that I can probably buy Starbucks coffee somewhere in a grocery store. But their pastries are so good, and this time of year, my favorite flavor is out in full force....Pumpkin Spice!! I love anything and everything pumpkin! So Starbucks makes these pumpkin scones with really great, thick icing, and its really too hard to resist for breakfast. I have been getting one every morning for the past few weeks, since they put them in the bakery case. Love them!! Well, back to my lack of Starbucks in Farmland, USA...I had to find a suitable replacement. (PS I do really love my hometown, and think it will be a great place to unwind, refocus, collect my thoughts, and push forward in my goals...I am looking forward to being back there!)
After some searching, I did!! This recipe is AWESOME!!! If you like pumpkin, I highly recommend them. She gives a recipe for pumpkin butter, but I didn't make that. Instead, I made a simple vanilla frosting glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar

pinch of salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

milk - enough to make the frosting the thickness you wish (I made mine thin enough to drizzle over the scones rather than frost them) Here they are


They were delicious!! I plan on making them all the time and eating them everyday! Well, maybe not everyday...I have cut down on my daily scone intake after realizing just how many calories are in one, and that's a little scary!!

OK...I think that I have been a little verbose, but that's what I get for not posting in almost 2 weeks! Sorry, and that won't happen often. Take care everyone!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Jen, I love the booties...they're so cute! I still haven't given mine yet, they're just sitting there all done. And you sweater is going to be wonderful. I am digging that pattern. Very nice in the red.

Ps. I took the quiz, too. I'm a "knitting guru", I guess. ;)