Thursday, January 24, 2008

Have you seen it??

People, something very important to me is lost. I have looked and looked and looked for it, and cannot find it anywhere!!! This is such a special thing, and has been a meaningful part of my everyday life for quite a while now. I feel a little lost myself without it, and need to know where to find it again! So, what is this that I have lost, you ask? Well....It's my knitting mojo!

I don't know what happened. After Christmas, I was on such a knitting high! I started new projects immediately. I got 2 new knitting books for Christmas (Last Minute Knitted Gifts and One Skein by Leigh Radford). I marked about 20 project from these books that I wanted to start right now! Then something happened...and the drive, the desire, the passion was gone!!

So here I am...not really knitting...so nothing to blog about...and really no excitement when I look at my stash, when I look online, and especially when I look at my WIPs! I am so sad!! I think the thing that triggered this all has to do with the marathon Christmas knitting. I knit day in and day out, every chance I got to finish all my Christmas knitting. I was so excited to be done with things and had so many projects on my mind to start after Christmas. Then after Christmas got here, and I took that excitement and cast on immediately for a new pair of socks, for me, finally! I got all the way through the leg and was getting ready to start the heel. I tried them on, and they were WAY TOO SMALL!! I was sad, and pretty disgusted. They were frogged, and the yarn is now in the basement waiting to start again. But I can't....not yet....I am not over the betrayal of the yarn and needles for these socks. But I feel a reconciliation coming in the future. I am still working on Tree Jacket...sadly. I am just over halfway done with one sleeve and need to do the other. In all honesty, that's one Saturday afternoon, and boom, its done and ready to be blocked. What is my problem!?! I have done a couple of small projects, Calorimetry, and some mittens (which I have yet to even photograph and post to Ravelry!)...but that's all. I joined the SAM KAL5, which I am totally excited about, but after the aforementioned sock debacle, I am just past the toe of a pair of 2x2 ribbed toe up socks in Cascade Fixation...and I can't seem to get into.
(*On a side note, I think that I have decided that I don't really LIKE Cascade Fixation. I am a tight knitter, and the elastic in the yarn makes it hard to knit my normal tension, and it just doesn't do what wool does...but who knows...maybe I am just losing it!!)

So, as I sat pondering my loss, I decided to immerse myself in knitting. I looked through some books, some magazines, some patterns, and even returned to my computer to reintroduce myself to my much neglected Ravelry page (I KNOW, how crazy right? How can anyone neglect Ravelry...wierd). It seemed to help a little bit...but we will see. Today is about -5 degrees F, with a wind chill I don't even want to talk about. I had been thinking that I was going to be traveling today with some business related errands, but have scheduled things such that I won't have to now. Its a relief! I was up early for a consulting call, and have been pretty busy setting up appointments for tomorrow and Monday. But, now that it is approaching the afternoon, and my "story" is on (Days of Our Lives, in case you were interested!), I think that I am going to force myself to sit down and work on that Tree Jacket. I am giving up on the socks being done for January, and will look at abandoning them altogether for a new pattern for February. There's a pair of arm-warmers in LMKG that I would like to maybe give a go...but let's not overwhelm myself right now! Baby steps!

I think I can get through this, the first step to recovery is admiting you have a problem! Or something... :) Happy Knitting everyone, and keep that mojo on a short leash!!

2 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

Hang in there Jen. I go thru it too. After christmas burnout. Every year right after christmas I get all excited that I finally get to knit for me and then I just do not want to knit. I have 4 items left to finish for christmas gifts and 1 for a birthday in feb. I am forcing myself to work on the b-day gift.

Take it slow, pet some yarn (or sniff) and look at books patterns and before you know it you will be back to knitting up a storm.

Jill said...

Ah, yes, she is right. It does happen to everyone. I finally finished Christmas knitting and I had to start on Brian's (huge) sweater. But I decided to get going and I'm making it easier on myself by knitting small stuff in between. Maybe that would help you, too? You know, it's nice to feel that sense of accomplishment with a quick knit, and it always gets me pumped back up. The mojo will be back! :) I'll send some good vibes your way...